Saturday, August 17, 2013

Homemade Tortillas Because I Refused to Drive to the Store...

 




 On a whim we decided to make tortillas from scratch. We had everything for tacos for dinner but the tortillas. I avoid going to the store with four kids at all costs. Even if it means making something from scratch. And it was an excuse to use this awesome little tortilla press I got in Memphis the last time I visited Jamie. She took me to the strangest, but coolest, store ever. But that trip to the store could be a post on its own...Okay, back to the tortillas- we pulled out the ingredients and got started. Speaking of ingredients, don't be all judgy with my unhealthy shortening- remember, this whole venture was because I was out of groceries. I have made them with butter instead of shortening- they were just as good. I have lowered the amount of butter or shortening and they were okay.
*3 1/2 cups flour plus extra for dusting (I have used all purpose, wheat, or a combo of both-this time, just all purpose)
*1/2 cup plus1 tablespoon of shortening
*1 1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
*a generous sprinkle of garlic salt mix (it's just for fun. I added this in at the end because it seemed a little bland the last time I made it and I thought it could use more salt...)
  1.  Place flour, shortening, and salt in a bowl and lightly rub the ingredients together with your fingers until evenly mixed. Pour in the warm water and knead a few times by hand until a smooth dough is formed.
  2. Divide the dough into 12 (I usually do about 16 because my tortilla press is smaller) equal size pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a tray. Cover with a tea towel and let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes, or up to an hour.
  3. If you don't have a press: roll each ball out to about an 8 inch circle. You can use wax paper to separate them until you're ready to cook. (You could refrigerate for up to two days or if you wrap tightly, you can freeze) I just cooked them right up as the kids were pressing them to save the wax paper. If you have a press: we use a plastic grocery bag cut in a long rectangle to cover both sides of the press, then set the dough ball in between the plastic and just press. I usually give it one 180 degree turn and press again, then peel it off the plastic.
  4. To cook, heat a griddle over medium heat. Carefully, peel off wax paper or plastic, and cook until slightly puffy and browned.
They came out great- the kids would press three, I watched over the griddle, they'd press three more...it was great system with three helpers and in no time flat (we only waited 15 minutes to let 'em rest) we had warm tortillas.
My from-scratch-because-I-don't-wanna-go-to-the-store recipes don't always turn out. But this one did, so I thought I'd share. Enjoy!  ~Jenny

 

2 comments:

  1. Tortilla Press?!?! That is TOTALLY awesome! WAY better than rolling them our by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it IS way easier...and feels a professional-like. ;)

    ReplyDelete