Monday, August 19, 2013

Hipsters and Fashionistas

So there's this new term I keep hearing my kids say...hipster. "She's a hipster, I'm a hipster, everywhere a hipster!" I'm only 34, but I feel so old when I hear all these words I'm not familiar with. "Scene, Troll, Dubstep..." My twelve year old daughter had to give me a lesson on these terms so I am going to try to pass the information along as "non-nerdy" as possible.

So a "Hipster" is someone who dresses trendy. In my day, we called them "trend-setters." They know all the latest fashions and can totally pull them off. Scene is someone who dresses "Emo," or in my day, "Goth," but who is not depressed; they are actually overly happy and excitable. A "Troll" is someone who plays pranks on people. Wasn't that called a prankster? And "Dubstep" is "A series of awesome electronic beats and music."-Jaden's definition. That's all I know so far, and I'm pretty sure that came out pretty nerdy, but oh well! I'm officially a nerdy, old mom and I love to embarrass my children!!

Anywho, my girls, Jaden and Rebekah, are complete opposites when it comes to just about everything including fashion. Rebekah is my girly-girl who loves to wear skirts and leggings with lots of accessories. She has to have her hair done and is picky about shoes while Jaden, the older one, is my non-girly gamer girl who doesn't particularly care what she looks like, if her hair is brushed, or what she is wearing...until recently that is. I had told her about a year ago that she was not able to dye her hair until she turned twelve. Well, she held me to my word! So for her birthday, her dad and I took her to get her tips dyed blue! And since then, she has made quite an effort to be fashionable. She recently asked me to buy her a beret and some white Converse shoes that she could decorate with permanent marker. (If you look closely at the photo above, you will see Jaden wearing her beret, and Rebekah sporting her hipster glasses. Also pictured is their nerdy hipster friend and her dready momma photo bombing!)  So my girls, the hipster and the fashionista, are growing up. Tear!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment