Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Help! My Homeschool Room is a Mess!



     The first step in starting a new year of schooling is getting organized, right? Well, if you're anything like me, that does not come easy. Unlike Jenny, organization is a skill I must work at, and I think I get a little better at it every year. So I'm here to tell you that there is hope for us scatter-brained-homeschool-moms! I am going to share with you a few things I've learned along the way...

1. Less is more. I have realized that the more things I have out, the more overwhelmed I become, and the less I accomplish. So the first step is clearing out your space, and deciding what is really necessary. For me that's the basics: our curriculum books, paper, pencils and office supplies. Sell or toss the rest! Just do it! And what about those keepsakes your 12 year old made in kindergarten? Take pictures of them and display those instead. For important keepsake papers, get a file box and store it in your closet so that it is not bulking up your work space. Remember, less is more.

2. Get "label-happy!" Don't be afraid to put that label maker to use. I used to think I would remember where I decided to keep things, but I was fooling myself. I now have accepted the fact that if I don't label, I will put the scissors where the glue belongs, and the permanent markers with the washable ones. And at first it will not bother me because I am "scattery" like that. But near the end of the school year, or maybe even by Christmas, I will be going crazy because I can't find the tape! And I will be blaming my children even though it is really I who have misplaced it. And after running out and purchasing more, I will find that tape in the crayon bin. It's the terrible truth of scatter-brained-homeschool-moms. So take my word for it, label! Label! Label!
                                                                                                                                                                                                         
3. Sometimes just a little rearranging can do the trick! When I began to look at my craft shelf, I realized that most of the clutter was actually where it was supposed to be. I surprised myself! There were, however, quite a few books and items on the shelf that didn't belong. My intention was to keep only crafty books on that shelf along with homeschool craft supplies. What I found were devotions, self-help books, preschool books and some of my personal crafting supplies. I moved the books the proper shelves and put my personal crafts in another room. I am trying to keep strictly homeschooling supplies in this area with one exception: I used the top shelf for my bible, devotions and studies. I hope to be more inclined to read more while the kids do table work. So after some quick rearranging, the job was complete!

 
 
 

 
 
4. Lastly, keep your table clear. After a book or supply has been used, promptly put it away. This is a discipline which must be practiced daily. Training ourselves and our children to do this takes effort, but it is well worth it. If you can go to bed with a cleared table, you will wake up more willing to take on the day!
 
That's all I have to say on the subject for now. I am by no means an expert at organization and probably never will be, but hopefully I can help a few people out there one step at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment