Thursday, January 9, 2014

Feeling Nostalgic for Grandma's Pfeffernusse...

by Jenny

The kids and I were feeling nostalgic for Grandma's Pfeffernusse this holiday season. Even through our overly busy schedule, we took time to walk down memory lane. Well, at least I did, and then I made them listen to all my stories.
I rediscovered this sweet, peppery little addictive treat when we did Germany for one of our first Foodie Fridays. I remember going to my Grandma's house near the holidays and she'd pull out a metal tin with assorted cookies and Pfeffernusse snacks. I remember enjoying all of her hard work preparing all these goodies but not really knowing how much work went into everything she made. She'd have orange cookies, sugar cookies, thumb print cookies...and while we were all together they would make taffy with the family taffy hook. I'd watch them string and stretch the hot taffy over and over the hook and then when it was just right they'd string it out and cut it into small pieces. I loved
watching them make taffy. I wish I would've seen my grandma make Pfeffernusse. That's the hard part about getting older, looking back at your family wishing you would've learned more from them before they passed away. Anyway, I'm excited to bring this recipe into my children's holiday tradition and it's joyful for me! These little treats, Pfeffernusse which translates to pepper nuts, are sweet and peppery at the same time! My kids think they taste like gingerbread and the anise reminds me of black licorice. You definitely cannot just stop at a few! I hope you enjoy them as much as our family!

Pfeffernusse
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white corn syrup
1/2 cup milk (may need more)
2 teaspoons anise extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
7 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Cream butter and sugar. Then beat in corn syrup, milk, and anise, vanilla, and almond extracts.
In a separate bowl, combine flour and the remaining dry ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture, and mix until thoroughly combined. It can be hard to mix and if it's too stiff, I usually add a splash of milk until the dough incorporates together. Place dough in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 375. Roll portions of dough into pencil-like logs with the diameter of a nickel. Cut into 1/3 inch slices (I create several logs and place them next to each other and use a pizza cutter to cut all at once) and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

Do you have any recipes you've revived with your kids from your childhood?




No comments:

Post a Comment