Monday, January 13, 2014

All Ya Need is Love....

by Jenny

http://itsahodgepodgelifeforus.blogspot.com/2013/10/fruit-of-spirit-homeschool-study.html
 
We've started our Fruit of the Spirit~A Homeschool Study and We Made a Giant Tree for our fruit. Now it's time to get down to business and talk LOVE. I knew I wanted us to spend a lot of time on LOVE. Because I knew God has spent a lot of time on love. It's SO foundational and mentioned so many times in scripture that I think God really wants to make sure we get it. Our focus verse that we are saying daily is...
 
 
 Our first day we all spent time in God's Word finding verses on love. We each picked at least one verse then on the second day we copied them on our construction paper apple. We settled on these verses to hang on our tree:
Matt. 5:44
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Rom. 12:9
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
I Cor. 13:1
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
I Cor. 13:4-8a
 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

I Cor. 16:14
Do everything in love.
Prov. 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
    bind them around your neck,
    write them on the tablet of your heart.
 
 
3rd day: studying LOVE we began art projects. We made stained glass window clings (post to follow).
4th day: We created a second art project- Using chalk pastels we created art that we thought represented "love"...I loved seeing how each of them saw love. One saw love coming from a seed and it grows out from the center, another saw love as something planted and growing and each of the seeds were love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Then the other one saw love as a giant fruit and the wind was pushing all the other 'stuff' around but love was solid.
5th day: We read and discussed people from the bible that we thought exhibited love. We chose Joseph for his love of family and enemies- Gen 45:1-15. We chose Ruth for her love and loyalty to her mother-in-law- Ruth 1:16-18. We also chose Jonathan for his brotherly, loyal, and sacrificial love for David- I Sam 18:1-4, 19:1-4.
6th day: Using index cards, each one of us wrote down things that we could do to practically show love. One of them wrote, "do not fight" another wrote "I will love my siblings. I will love my enemies. I will not fight. I will choose love first."
 
Look forward to our Stained Glass art post coming soon!!!
 
 
 (side note: when researching studies for Fruit of the Spirit, I read numerous posts/studies that said how "important" it was that all the fruit be the same because the fruit of the Spirit is the same, it's all one fruit. And to make sure they say fruit instead of fruits of the Spirit. On our first day of starting this study, all the kids went into their rooms for journaling time and came out with pictures that they got during their time. They each had drawn a tree with different fruit representing each fruit of the Spirit and a lot of them were identical 'fruit' for the fruit. They were SO excited that the Holy Spirit had given them similar pictures that I didn't want to squelch that with any theology on "fruit"....so there you go. I'm not contradicting the message the Holy Spirit gave to them.)`

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! I really enjoy reading your blog posts so I am so glad you linked up with us this week! I hope you come back and link up again this week! I open up the link up on Sunday evening and let it run all week so whenever you can I would love for you to come post some more!

    ReplyDelete